Fill some large plastic bowls about halfway, with water. Add a glop of acrylic paint and stir. This is a very simple way of dying the paper, mostly because I happened to have all these supplies lying around my house on any given day. But you could also go to the store and get some more traditional dye. Drop a handful of filters into each color, ring them out and set them aside to dry.
Once the coffee filters are dry(let them dry overnight), you’ll need a pair of scissors and some wire.
1. Grab a handful of dried coffee filters
2. Fold into fourths
3. Cut petal shape out of the wide fan part of your filters
4. Cut a graduated variety of sizes, unfold them and lay them on top of each other (You’ll want at least two of each size. You can go as big or small as you want!)
5. Cut about a foot of wire, make a ‘knot’ at one end of your wire and stick the other end through the middle of all your filters. (the knotted end will keep the wire from slipping all the way through the paper)
6 & 7. Starting with your smallest cut out, begin peeling up each layer of paper one by one, fluff as needed.
8. Pinch the bottom of the flower to create a good shape
9. Wrap the wire around the base a few times to hold it all together
10. Beautiful finished flower!