4 – 2″ x 4″ x 40″ – legs
2 – 2″ x 2″ x 15″ – bottom support
4 – 1″ x 4″ x 36″ bottom
1 – 1″ x 1 1/2″ x 36″ bottom
40″ long pallet slats as needed
16″ long pallet slats as needed
(Note: if you do not have access to wood pallets or are concerned about where the pallets have been, you can easily substitute pine 1×4’s or cedar pickets found at stores like Home Depot.)
This planter box is made mostly from pallet wood, for tips on disassembling a pallet, check out this video.
Nail or screw the bottom pieces to the 2×2 supports.
Cut pieces of pallet slat to 40″ and attach to the legs for the front and 16″ for the sides. I originally used a brad nailer, but some of the wood started to warp when wet and I went back and used 1 1/4″ screws.
I used a 2″ hole saw to drill holes for the petunias.
Spacing the holes about every 6″ or so.
I ended up with a gap between the legs which I used weed guard to block. You can put a couple of pieces of scrap wood to fill the gap.
Now the fun part, planting the flowers. These flowers are Wave petunias that I got at Costco, you can also rotate the flowers between regular, cascade and wave petunias. You need good potting mix and you need to add soil moist to help retain water. I put a layer of weed guard down on the bottom, because I had a few holes. You may have a little dirt wash out for the first little while, but once the plants start growing this will stop.
Add the first row of flowers, then cover with soil.
I realized that the box is kind of large and is going to use a lot of dirt (2 bags). I remember reading somewhere that you can use packing peanuts as filler, hope I remember that right. I put them in the far back where the flowers wouldn’t be planted.
Then cover with more dirt.
Add the third row of flowers, fill with dirt and plant flowers on top.
You need to water the flowers everyday, the holes let the dirt get dry. I usually water until the water leaks from the lower holes. I also fertilize 1/week.
The foliage was very green and pretty, but no flowers. Realized I needed to spray for bugs and the flowers came back.
Sprayed it for bugs one last time, and one week later it looked amazing!