1. Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer in a shallow metal pan and roast for about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the nuts cool for 5 minutes.
3. When cool enough to handle, rub the hazelnuts between your fingertips to remove the skins. (You could also rub them with the folds of a clean dish towel.) Transfer the nuts to a food processor or blender and pulse for 2 to 3 minutes or until reduced to a fine powder.
4. In a saucepan, heat the chocolate and evaporated milk over medium heat until the chocolate melts. Stir occasionally to blend.
5. Pour the hot milk mixture over the ground nuts and add the cocoa powder, oil, vanilla, and salt. Pulse several times or until the paste is smooth and evenly colored. Spoon the paste into a sterilized 8oz jar. Seal and refrigerate. The spread will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Makes: 8oz jar