I’m sure you’ve all seen them before – they’ve been the victim of many a good (and maybe a few unfortunate) hacks.
And these brass plated card holder pulls I found on eBay, plus some timber stain and sealer.
I did consider painting or ageing the brass though I’m planning on using some gold accents in the room so decided to leave it as is. I’m glad I did ’cause I do really like the end result.
Because I was planning on using the pulls to open the drawers, I no longer wanted the visible finger cut-outs.
Easy solution….just turn the drawers around. I know, duh right?
I began by giving the corners of the drawers themselves a reasonably heavy sand to round them off a bit. It’s just a small detail and by no means necessary though as you can see in the ‘after’ pics it does soften the perfection of the unit and imparts the illusion of some wear.
Next I applied two coats of timber stain (I used dark teak because that’s what I found in the shed 🙂
To add a soft lustre and enhance the richness of the stain I then applied three coats of danish oil. If you’ve not used danish oil before, I highly recommend it. As mentioned, it imparts a soft sheen, enriches colour and nourishes the timber. It goes on like water and, in my experience, dries perfectly every time – unlike some sealers it is virtually fool-proof.
Once the oil was dry, I attached my pulls, banging in the nails with my customary the-kitchen-meat-mallet-is-closer-than-the-real-hammer hammer (which turned out to be convenient in more ways than one thanks to its you-can’t-possibly-miss-a-nail-with massive head). For something a bit different, I aligned the pulls towards the top of each drawer. Do I like it? I’m not really sure though I think it’s growing on me. Besides, it’s a pretty easy task to relocate them if I ever feel compelled – which I probably wont.
The nails which affix the pulls will inevitably poke through the rear of the drawer fronts so if this bothers you simply file them flush or trim them down prior.
The visible dove-tails are perfect for helping enhance the illusion of a true vintage piece.
To finish I designed some simple antique style tabs for the card holders.
Sure, I coulda just hand written them and tea-stained the paper, though I decided to exercise my current love of digital graphics and instead Photoshoped ‘em up using a handwritten script font and a distressed background texture.
I was pleasantly surprised with how authentic they actually look.
For your convenience I have included my graphics as free printables ! They will fit perfectly inside the 9cm x 4.5cm (3 1/4″ x 1 11/16″) pull slots.
I was a bit sceptical at how this project would turn out though it’s a heap better than I thought…so yay!