Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
Roast marshmallows. We did ours over a fire. You can broil yours in the oven (watch carefully!) or use a kitchen torch. ( highly recommend over a fire if you can – the taste is amazing.)
- Place the roasted marshmallows in a blender – set aside. In a large bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, set that bowl aside. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Heat over medium heat until very hot, but not boiling. Once the milk is hot, slowly pour about ½ cup of the hot milk into the yolks, whisking constantly, this gently warms the egg yolks (so they don’t become scrambled eggs!).
- Keep adding the milk slowly, constantly whisking, until you have about ½ of the hot milk mixture stirred into the eggs yolks.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pan and heat over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture reaches 165-170ºF.
- Remove from heat and stir for about 3 minutes to cool the mixture down. Add milk mixture to the blender and blend for about a minute.
- Let sit for a few minutes, then blend again for another minute. Add in the cold heavy cream and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until very cold – overnight is best.
- Before churning, whisk mixture well. Churn in your ice cream maker and freeze.
Do yourself a favor and go make this ice cream immediately!